[CentOS-devel] Repository structures for SIG and variants in the future

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Fri Jan 17 20:39:52 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 06:06 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 01/17/2014 10:06 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

>>> This touches exactly on the point for why I don't want to include
>>> priorities by default. To make it useful for repos that provide newer
>>> software than what exists in base/updates (php, httpd, libvirt,
>>> whatever), you're automatically working against priorities. It doesn't
>>> matter if it's for a local repository or for a SIG.
>>>

>> So how do you intend to solve this without priorities? Especially if
>> there is a need for some packages to be compiled with different flags?
>
> Ideally by eliminating package duplication for the SIG/repos who work
> with us, but that's an ivory tower goal that's likely unattainable.
>
> It will likely be a combination of working with SIGs to coordinate and
> cooperate, changing to SCL builds where possible and appropriate, and
> documentation to better educate the users.
>
> SCL builds provide a nice name-spaced way to have multiple versions of
> the same packages installed. For example, python27, python33, multiple
> php and httpd versions, etc. All of which are mostly impractical with
> the older rpm packaging style (see php and httpd for example). This is
> by no means a silver bullet, but it does solve a fair chunk of the issue.
>

>> One example is for those using Virtualmin. Virtualmin provides http,
>> postfix and few other packages compiled little differently (different
>> flags) then RH does, in their own repository. So if both repositories
>> are of same priority, when RH publishes newer version it is
>> automatically an update to modified version. And that can brake things
>> until Virtualmin releases their own version. If we "hide" RH versions
>> with higher priority to Virtualmin packages then nothing can be broken.
>

> These could easily be scl enabled packages. Keep in mind we have a
> scenario very much like this with the Clear and Neth groups, who seem to
> be very interested in working with us.
>
>> Same rule will apply to any package any Variant will have to compile
>> with different flags, including CentOSPlus kernels. If someone uses
>> CentOSPlus kernel because regular RH kernel does not have drivers for
>> their hardware, and happens that CentOSPlus kernel is not released the
>> same time as regular kernel (even 1-5h can make a difference), problem
>> may arise where update to regular kernel fails and we have a unhappy
>> user. With newbies around (I hope we attract in greater numbers), that
>> can be troublesome.
>
> I'm not sure this is the best example to address your point, but I do
> understand your meaning. This problem is not unique to CentOS, and I
> don't consider it to be a core distribution or board problem. The SIGs
> and Variants are up to their respective communities to maintain and keep
> current. If they falter, we'll certainly try to help but we're not going
> to take over the maintenance of a failing SIG.

Being proactive and being prepared are two different things. Taking over
SiG maintenance would be proactive approach. Enabling Variants and 3rd
party repositories to have safety net would be being accommodating
while Variants and 3rd party repositories (Va3pr? :) ) would be prepared.

>> -----------------------------------
>> But, as I said, for now I will be happy with "Priorities=" and
>> "Enabled=" for every repo's config. It will make many things easier,
>> like creating script to change those numbers per users request (you do
>> not have to host it). Adding them to every new config (after
>> centos-release is updated) is not desired.
>

> Enabled, we can likely accommodate, and I'll discuss this with the
> others. Priorities, I'm not sold on.
>

>> ----------------------------------
>>
>> With new opportunities creating CentOS Variants, I already thought of
>> few things I would ask of yum project to incorporate, to further provide
>> out-of-the-box experience for Variants users.
>
> You seem to be quite passionate for the laptop/desktop users. Why not
> participate or create a SIG with that target audience? You could tailor
> this exactly as you wish with the packages (assuming legally
> distributable) you wish.

I built Desktop quasi-Variant of CentOS back in 2008 I think. I created
my own repository and mirrored all the mayor repositories. I have them
mirrored even now. For example, I repacked static Skype 2.x for CentOS 5
to rpm, I was the only one to have it in a repository. I also recompiled
32-bit kvm L. Farkas built and used it for several years. And I rebuilt
any Fedora package I needed, somewhere 50-100 rpm's overall. My focus
was solely on desktop usage. I use exclusively CentOS for Desktops and
Laptops for those 6 years. And I battle with 3rd party repositories
including my own all those 6 years. I tried numerous solutions and
variations, but every one failed due to CentOS restrictions and
compilations. In those 6 years, only way to provide out-of-the box
experience, but not changing centos-release/CentOS-Base.repo involved
guiding newbies to login as root and start editing CentOS-Base.repo
after they install my plnet-release package. Tiresome and discouraging job.

In January 2012 I created "DentOS" brand with full set of .repo files
for all popular 3rd party repos and a script that will be able to switch
.repo files among different sets (in subdirectories), just like I
described in one of earlier mails. I would move CentOS-Base.repo to
backup subdirectory and replace it with my own .repo files with
incorporated "Priority=" and "Enabled=", with priorities set in such a
way so Tier3 repositories including Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. packages
have greater priority then base, updates, etc. That way there are no
surprises on the Desktop systems I maintain for other people.

If you ask why they do not have same priority, reason is for example
gstreamer version. gstreamer packages in CentOS have one version, and
all gstreamer-* packages from 3rd party repositories (with legal issues)
have to keep up with main gstreamer version, or they will not work. So
"yum update" will fail when gstreamer package changes version since
plugins must be compiled for exactly that version. And if newbie can not
update it's system without problems, GUY IN SUPPORT has a problem.
Responce from CentOS will be/was take it with 3rd party repo, user will
get irritated and will talk about it.

 From 2008 to 2010 I was on LinuxQuestions.org forums, only in
RHEL/CentOS sections providing help to users (DrLove73).
At the same time I was on every Linux forum in my language supporting
and promoting CentOS, even as a Desktop solution, explaining 3rd party
repositories.
Roughly from 2010 to 2012 I was on CentOS forums providing help (DrLove73).
In 2012 took on official CentOS Facebook group as main/regular admin.
Before I started in CentOS group, I was one of the admins in biggest
Linux group on Facebook, promoting CentOS and arguing pro/against with
pro-Debian members there. Today CentOS group passed 6100 members, vast
majority are newbies, some barely know what Linux is.

So I have WAST experience with newbies, their expectations and what they
are looking for. And it is NOT current CentOS with problematic setting
up 3rd party repositories and solving conflicts. If you ask people on
CentOS forums (and other where someone supports CentOS), you will find
out that newbies biggest problems revolve around 3rd party repositories
providing "forbidden" packages.

And so we came to the main problem regarding Desktop SiG.

If CentOS project want's bigger adoption amongst newbies, it has to have
Desktop Variant that "just work", providing easy add-on model for 3rd
party repositories carrying "forbidden" packages. Otherwise newbies will
use Mint/Ubuntu/Debian for Desktop and Mint/Ubuntu/Debian for server.
They will not bother with learning both Debian and CentOS way. And keep
in mind that Windows XP is expiring, Windows 7 is off the shelf's, and
people hate Windows 8. So many newbies are already shopping for
Desktop/Laptop Linux distro, and many will follow. Once first ones
decide to take a Debian route, they will want Debian on servers also.

So if this crucial problem is not solved having in mind easy add-on
solution without manual interventions, there is not reason what so ever
in even creating Desktop SiG. CentOS will remain server distro for
geeks, just like 90% of free-Linux-distro users think today.

If I were smart enough to chose Debian 9 years ago for my server in
stead of ClarkConnect, I could have made easy living installing and
maintaining Ubuntu/Mint systems in my area.

>> With all of my suggestions so far, I think something like "Skip=" for
>> every repo would be useful for those who use their internal mirrors.
>> If you set "Enabled=0" for some repo, using "--enablerepo=*" will enable
>> it. Another use is to have installed but disabled one or more 3rd party
>> repos, so you can quickly locate and install some needed package. No
>> need for search around internet, double checking.
>
> There is a skip_if_unavailable option, but I'm not sure that's what
> you're getting at. I believe fedora was also working on some sort of
> package library that would allow you to search directly. Perhaps this is
> something we could see about appropriating from them for our own uses.
>

>> Working around current "restrictions" in CentOS concerning 3rd party
>> repository manipulation is possible, but I think CentOS-Core should be
>> as close to Variants as possible in terms of repository syntax and use,
>> so we do not have to build (in-house or 3rd party) additional layer over
>> centos-release package or replace it all together (for Variants).
>>

> The formats and guidelines we're establishing will apply as equally as
> possible to all groups. However, I would much prefer overlay release
> files, similar to how there's an epel-release, elrepo-release,
> gluster-release, etc. This way one can 'at-a-glance' see what's in play
> with a simple 'yum list installed *-release'

That is my sentiment exactly. That is why I would like changes on the
level of CentOS-Base.repo file, so it can be compatible with .repo files
3rd party and Variants .repo files will carry, so CentOS-Base.repo file
is changed as little as possible.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)