[CentOS-devel] Wider conversation around process and delivery for the Cloud SIG

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 13:33:01 UTC 2014

   Hello everybody,

  First post to the list, though I have been watching for some time ;-)

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 02:10:31PM +0000, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 01/27/2014 02:49 AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
[...]
> > I think, at least in theory (I know someone will correct me if I'm totally wrong here) - Fedora's ability to actually "deliver RDO" shouldn't differentiate greatly from CentOS's, given that we largely use the same tools, we can do EPEL builds for EL5/6/7, etc. Where this starts to diverge is with the new magic that the CentOS Cloud SIG is working on; if there is essentially a Cloudified EL 6/7, with different bits in it than what is standard in EL 6, and dependencies that are quite possibly newer than what is in EPEL -- that is, for the moment anyway :D, something that Fedora can't really *build for* (build against?). So that might make sense. Or it could be something else.
> >
> > I guess my question would be - assuming that any of what I guessed at in the previous paragraph is in line with Mark's thinking - would the plan then be to simply build RDO for Fedora and CentOS/EL in each of their respective infrastructure homes? (I am assuming there is not a way to build for Fedora w/in CentOS infra, and keep those things in a CentOS repo, that I am woefully ignorant of... )
>
> So the Fedora infra is fine for delivering RDO on Fedora.
>
> Even for EL it has been very useful, even though OpenStack packages are no longer in EPEL.
> This was a little awkward though due to branching and supported tags, but nothing too onerous.
>
> Given the different cadences for OpenStack releases combined with the more stringent
> compatibility constraints of the main EPEL repos, it seems like it might be
> a more natural fit to use Centos infra for this. We'll be discussing this
> a the dojo this week.
>
> In addition using/contributing to a Cloud specific repo could
> allow everyone working in this area to avoid duplicate work.

  One of the thing I would like to double check nd maybe you can help
is the Xen support in the RDO build.
  One major difference is the presence of the Xen4CentOS project,
i.e. support for Dom0 in the kernel, and I would like to make sure we
have a coherent ecosystem (nearly) independant of the hypervisor of
choice. I would like to make sure that the packages build for RDO in
a CentOS framework and targetting CentOS actually have support for
all the hypervisors and at least KVM, Xen and LXC as provided by
libvirt. In the past Xen4CentOS had to carry libxl patches for libvirt
support which were missing in the RHEL version of libvirt, but found
in the more recent upstream versions.
  Is there specific components we may be missing or parts that we
disabled in our OpenStack builds for RDO that ae required for Xen
support ? If no it would be lovely if people could try and report
issues, if yes then can we make sure that the rpm specs are ready
to enable those and make sure it gets build in the CentOS RDO packages
(hopefully we won't have to diverge and keep an unified el6 build).

  thanks !

Daniel

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/