[CentOS-devel] drpms directories taking a lot of space

Jonathan Dieter

jdieter at lesbg.com
Tue Jan 7 06:28:45 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 07:05 +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> some weeks ago I looked briefly at the drpms subdirectories
> for Centos-6.4-x86_64. All updtes took about 4GB whereas the
> drpms subdir had already 27GB. Listing the drpms directory by
> size showed e.g. libreoffice updates taking e.g. 35MB whereas
> the full update rpm is 37MB.
<snip>

The problem is that CentOS seems to currently be generating deltarpms
for all possible combinations of rpms, whereas in Fedora deltarpms are
only generated from base -> current and current-1 -> current.

To use a current example, the updates/x86_64/Packages directory for
CentOS 6.5 is 873MB, while the drpms directory is 8.2GB (almost 10x the
rpm size).  In comparison, the packages in the updates directory for
Fedora 20 use roughly 10GB, while the drpms directory is only 2.4 GB.
(roughly 1/4 the rpm size).

Rather than completely ditching drpms, I'd suggest pruning the old
drpms.

Jonathan