[CentOS-devel] Repositories in new ecosystem and Desktop version

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Thu Jan 9 23:24:18 UTC 2014

Hi.

Repository policy will define how new ecosystem works, so I thought
throwing in few suggestions and see what can be applied.

Will one of CentOS variants/SiGs also include something like
Desktop/Laptop/Workstation variant that will provide out-of-the-box EPEL
and ElRepo packages, mostly drivers? I see lack of (network) drivers on
installaion DVD as a main problem for newbies that chose CentOS as their
workstation.

Something in line with CentOS + ElRepo drivers on the same DVD + current
release/.repo packages for EPEL, and maybe other 3rd party repositories.

I am trying to image how this would be best to execute, and the first
thing that comes to mind is this:

1. yum-plugin-priorities should become mandatory for all CentOS Variants
including Base distro.

2. All .repo files should have "Enabled=" and "Priority=" lines for
every repository, so it is easier for a user (or SiGs) to set things up
as he likes it.

3. There should be debate and consensus (with 3rd party repositories!)
how to decide which priority numbers will be assigned to which
repository (including base/os and others from current CentOS project) so
that that repository system in EL ecosystem is much easier for
re-purposing of the already installed systems. Priority for CentOS-Core
should be enough to insert 2 repositories above it, and system should
use rounded numbers (10,20,30,40 or better 20, 40, 60, 80) for
repositories, so there is room to insert additional repositories when/if
they appear.

The way I see it, there can be two paths to building Variants.

* First is to create separate (mostly symlinked) repositories for each
Variant.

* Second is to use priorities wisely so that packages that need to
replace ones from CentOS-Core are placed to a repository that has higher
priority (lower number) in "Priority=" line. So if you want to convert
CentOS-Core system to CentOS-Desk you only need to ADD
centos-desk-release package and update the system.

I think second path is much better for 3rd party repositories that will
provide things that are not opensource like non-opensource codecs
(gstreamer, vlc, ...) without a need for complicated editig of .repo
files. Biggest benefit from this will be for newbies that are currently
frustrated with lengthy process and rather chose Debian based systems
like Ubuntu and Mint for their first Linux distros. Consequence is once
they learn Debian way they are not really interested to additionally
learn CentOS/RHEL way to run CentOS servers. As a person that is some 5
years in newbie support of CentOS/RHEL (currently main admin on official
CentOS Facebook group with 6.000 members), main problem to attracting
newbies/future admins is complicated addition of Desktop packages via
3rd party repositories. Sometimes I even give up on explaining total
newbie how to add all those extra repositories.

4. Tool for easier management of various repositories should be
developed/adjusted existing? so that newbie from GUI (or CLI) can move
individual repositories up/down and turn them on/off to adjust them as
they see fit, then save various options as profiles (some made by CentOS
Project?) and easily switch them (or temporary apply them for current
terminal?) to accomplish various tasks. Yum devs could probably help
with this.

5. There should be additional "Downloaded" repository that would carry
latest packages that do not have their own yum reposiroties like
VirtualBox, LibreOffice, Skype, shorewall, flash, etc. I believe an
arrangement with providers of those binaries could be achieved for
themselves to upload latest versions so users are able to installed them
without need to download and apply them manually.

Same method could maybe be used to carry a subset of some other
repositories, provided as-is, like latest Firefox/Thunderbird from Remi
repository for those that do not care about compliance to standards of
government datacenters (or whatever it is called).

A mechanism for approval of those packages can be carefully designed,
but I think they are also an important part of Desktop userbase.

At the moment, "downloaded" section in my repository caries about 200
packages manually downloaded (or copied from) from other places, like
codecs with accompanying requirements etc. Even tho I do not update them
very often, I have them on-hand when I install new system, just a yum
command away.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)