[CentOS-devel] A format request to create a Eucalyptus Special Interest Group

Dave Neary

dneary at redhat.com
Sun Jan 12 13:25:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

(Also, officially, hello centos-devel! I'm one of the new guys here -
been working on growing the community around oVirt, OpenStack on CentOS
& RHEL and a few other bits & pieces as part of my job in Red Hat - very
eager to see effective collaboration between projects with CentOS)

On 01/11/2014 12:09 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/10/2014 10:26 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
>> The best option from my point of view would be to have Eucalyptus
>> participating in a Cloud SIG, and spinning a Euca variant from that.
>> Would that be OK with you?
>
> That would get my vote as well, however it might be worth considering a
> few things here :
> Do we split Cloud Infra from Cloud Instance SIGs ? Although the core SIG
> will deliver cloud instances, it will only be for the core distro.
>
> And when multiple vendor or project solutions need to replace or rely on
> components that otherwise have the same name/ver or similar function (
> eg. different libvirt versions ), how do we handle those.

I definitely see provision of cloud instances and collaboration on what
infra providers need to be separate problem spaces. I was thinking
"cloud infrastructure" when thinking about a cloud SIG, but perhaps it
makes sense to frame things as you suggest.

What I would like to see is a CentOS stack which allows all of the cloud
storage, networking, virt management and IaaS projects to show
themselves in a good light - we will need newer stuff that isn't
available in RHEL 6 to do so (and the sam will doubtless happen during
the RHEL 7 release cycle), and it makes sense for us to talk & share the
burden of supporting those newer components on top of core CentOS.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13