[CentOS-devel] Repository structures for SIG and variants in the future

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Wed Jan 15 17:15:44 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 02:47 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> We'll never be able to make everyone happy or resolve all the issues. If
> we're able to provide something that works well for the majority of end
> users and makes project life easier for the builders/developers, I'll
> consider that a win.

There is no need to over complicate this. Majority will be happy to have
"Enabled="  and "Priority=x" in CentOS-Base.repo (and other repo's), and
to define priority values for Tier1, Tier2, Tier3 with enough space
in-between for 3rd party repositories to nest them selves where they want.

Additional consensus between 3rd party repository maintainers to agree
on priority values and which repos should be Enabled by default would be
nice, but it is not necessary because the fact that newbies do not have
to mess with CentOS-Base.repo and 3rd party repos for default
instalation of CentOS + 3rd party will dramatically boost usability to
newbies who want stable Linux, even if CentOS Project does not provide
Installation media with EPEL and/or ElRepo kmods.

So far, every newbie that installs CentOS on Laptop (and
Desktop/Workstation) and needs additional drivers has to go through hell
of manual downloading and instalation of release packages, then manual
installation of kmods for their wireless/ethernet to work. And so does
person who they contact for help. Not to mention if package they need is
in tier 2 or 3.

But with priorities already set, task is 90% done, no messing around
with .repo files, just fire and forget.

I know that I am pushing hard for this, but that is because I have been
waiting this opportunity for several years, and if priority reform is
not done, then it will be epic fail in my book for wider adoption of
CentOS in non-server environments.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)