[CentOS-devel] Cloud Instance SIG Hackathon @ CentOS Dojo 31st Jan 2014

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Jan 26 21:36:53 UTC 2014

hi,

We are organising a hack session to try and build, test and deliver a
set of CentOS-5/6 32bit/64bit images usable by various onpremise cloud
setups. This email aims to give everyone an overview of what to expect
on the day, so we can jump right in on the day and get productive. This
is a bit of a wordy email, so feel free to skip details - I will have
most of the important stuff on paper to hand out on the day as well.

The Hack session is expected to start just after lunch, and will run
through to the end of the day ( ~ 17:30 );

On the day, I will have a local Wifi network with SSID DojoHackathon
running at the time, everyone wanting to participate will need to get
onto that. dhcp on the network will hand out 172.30.30.100 - 250 IP's.
There is a gateway on .1 that will NAT requests to the upstream internet
( but I'm told its slow, so dont rely on it being there ). If anyone
needs content to pull, please let either me or Johnny know, we will
mirror it down before the event and make sure its on the mirror host on
the network at the time. We are going to have :
- CentOS 5/6 on both 32/64 bit x86
- EPEL 5/6
- EPEL-Testing 5/6

Various people representing projects have offered to bring pre-setup
cloud infra on their laptops, thanks for that. Lets try and target
everyone of those on the day. So far the list is :
- OpenNebula
- CloudStack
- OpenStack ( the HPCloud edition )
- OpenStack ( the RDO edition )

A rather basic idea of what to expect in terms of infra/network on the
day : http://bit.ly/1ffXr4G ; Workflow anticipated:

- git.centos.org ( hosted locally ) will have the git repos that host
kickstarts and metadata files that have some info around the kickstarts.

- anyone can clone the git repos ( I will make sure its pretty clear as
to what repo to get for what task, ideally there will only be one git
repo with all the kickstarts ).

- make changes / edits / push back to git.centos.org ( please ensure git
user.name and user.email is sane )

- git post-recv triggers kick off the actual image builds on the
image-builder node, which will then push the resulting file to
cloud.centos.org ( both image-builder and cloud.centos.org mirrors will
be hosted locally ).

- cloud images from cloud.centos.org can then be downloaded and
instantiated on the cloud infra people are running;

- once satisfied that the image does everything that is 'required', git
clone the t_functional repo, and run the test suite. PASS on that would
indicate them that the image is good to ship. For the day, we will trim
the test suite down to just the basic stuff that runs in 10 min or less.

- Indicate pass with a comment in the metadata file and git commit which
starts with 'RELEASEABLE ', git push.

rinse & repeat for 32bit and 64bit.

Worth noting here that the reason i have all the various components
setup to work with real world urls ( faked by dnsmasq on the .1 machine
) is that post hackathon the exact same infra will go live on the same
urls. With one major change : we will have little or no ACL's fon the
git repos at the hackathon to make live easier and encourage
participation. Post Hackathon, we'll need to establish a mechanism for
people to request commit access.

If we still have time at the end of the day, we can shoot to deliver
something that works for vmware, ovirt and docker. I am still waiting to
hear back from the Eucalyptus guys if someone from their side is going
to be at the hack session.

please note: all kickstarst and images will need to only consume content
hosted in mirror.centos.org and epel ( or if you need something else,
let us know before Wed 29th ).

See you there,

--
Karanbir Singh