[CentOS-devel] Wider conversation around process and delivery for the Cloud SIG

Pádraig Brady

pbrady at redhat.com
Tue Jan 28 14:10:31 UTC 2014

On 01/27/2014 02:49 AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> [...]

Centos / EL being more "server" centric currently, is the main consumer of RDO.
Though there are significant users on Fedora too from both developers, casual testers and even some deployments.
Both are important, especially considering the closer alignment of Fedora with _current_ EL7 packages.

> I think Matt's question is going towards determining if this is a "workflow" thing - which could perhaps be intertwined with where RDO is mostly consumed - or if there are actual, technical issues with Fedora's infrastructure/build system (is it too slow? too bureaucratic? something else) that are of concern, since those are good things for Fedora folks to know.
>
> I think, at least in theory (I know someone will correct me if I'm totally wrong here) - Fedora's ability to actually "deliver RDO" shouldn't differentiate greatly from CentOS's, given that we largely use the same tools, we can do EPEL builds for EL5/6/7, etc. Where this starts to diverge is with the new magic that the CentOS Cloud SIG is working on; if there is essentially a Cloudified EL 6/7, with different bits in it than what is standard in EL 6, and dependencies that are quite possibly newer than what is in EPEL -- that is, for the moment anyway :D, something that Fedora can't really *build for* (build against?). So that might make sense. Or it could be something else.
>
> I guess my question would be - assuming that any of what I guessed at in the previous paragraph is in line with Mark's thinking - would the plan then be to simply build RDO for Fedora and CentOS/EL in each of their respective infrastructure homes? (I am assuming there is not a way to build for Fedora w/in CentOS infra, and keep those things in a CentOS repo, that I am woefully ignorant of... )

So the Fedora infra is fine for delivering RDO on Fedora.

Even for EL it has been very useful, even though OpenStack packages are no longer in EPEL.
This was a little awkward though due to branching and supported tags, but nothing too onerous.

Given the different cadences for OpenStack releases combined with the more stringent
compatibility constraints of the main EPEL repos, it seems like it might be
a more natural fit to use Centos infra for this. We'll be discussing this
a the dojo this week.

In addition using/contributing to a Cloud specific repo could
allow everyone working in this area to avoid duplicate work.

thanks,
Pádraig.