[CentOS-devel] CentOS Cloud SIG?

Thu Jan 9 13:49:21 UTC 2014
Pádraig Brady <pbrady at redhat.com>

On 01/09/2014 12:56 PM, Nux! wrote:
> On 09.01.2014 12:08, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> For RDO/OpenStack we needed network namespace support (to support
>>> Neutron) that wasn't available in the stock RHEL/CentOS kernel.
>>
>> Was that solved with some backporting to the RHEL/CentOS kernel, or
>> did you wind up using an entirely newer kernel version?

Also GRE and the newer VXLAN support were added.
These were significant additions best managed within a full kernel release.
Note since CentOS 6.5 these have been incorporated into the main kernel,
but the point still remains that we can benefit from a separate kernel on occasion.

> Separate kernels and iproute were/are necessary, they are provided in
> this repo
> http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/openstack-havana/epel-6/
>
> AFAIK netns is still unsupported in EL 6.5, iproute can't handle netns
> for example.

The netns backport is not complete due to kernel ABI constraints.
With the older RDO kernel and with the newer CentOS 6.5 kernel you can
specify the netns of a link but you can't use 'ip netns'.

The above linked repo is also a good place to browse candidate
packages for the cloud sig. Given OpenStack is implemented in python,
there are some new and/or backwards incompatible python libraries there.
But also there are more general packages like the above discussed
kernel for 6.4 based systems and openvswitch packages etc.

Note also that RDO links to the puppetlabs yum repo to incorporate
the latest packages from there.  There was only a little adjustment
required within RDO when puppetlabs updated from puppet 3.3 to 3.4 recently,
but this would be another candidate for incorporation within the cloud sig.

thanks,
Pádraig.