[CentOS-devel] Repository structures for SIG and variants in the future

Mon Jan 13 20:29:31 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 01/13/2014 01:18 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> The way I envision this working is as follows:
>>
>>  - Tier 1 repositories: Adds packages only. These repos may not update
>> or replace anything in the core distribution. (Example: EPEL)
>
> What about the scenario where you want packages from more than one
> tier 1 repo?   Will there be some coordination to at least try to
> avoid conflicts across them or document the workarounds if they
> happen?    It will probably be common to require EPEL in addition to
> at least one other tier 1 (unless there is a horrible amount of
> duplication) - so what will prevent the addition of packages into EPEL
> that conflict with other tier 1's even if they start out without
> conflicts?

Yes. To some extent the scenario you've described is our starting point,
as there are already a number of reasonably well known repositories that
conflict with each other. This is part of what we want to address. By
opening up git, and by allowing these organizations to work with us on
the inside I'm hoping that we can create and foster this sort of
cooperation.

--
Jim Perrin