[CentOS-devel] Repository structures for SIG and variants in the future

Wed Jan 15 18:16:53 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 06:09 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I'd give a lot of credit for the popularity of Ubuntu to their more
> sane handling of 3rd party packages.  Even the ones they don't host
> directly are generally available from a repository that is easily
> enabled (without hunting for it, or guessing which ones will break
> your system), and generally coordinated to avoid conflicts.

if someone can :

- define what 'breaks your system is'
- write code that can test for 'breaks'
- is happy to maintain that set of code

we can plumb that into the CI / nightly / pre-release testing to make
sure that we can atleast notify the right people in time; ideally
building upto  proper coordination.

if you cant automate this, then its an education process. Feel free to
start write docs and policies, then educating people around it -
Fedora's knowldge base is a good place to start from

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh