[CentOS-devel] Differences in IaaS and PaaS, thoughts for the Cloud SIG

Wed Jan 15 19:41:25 UTC 2014
Adam Miller <maxamillion at fedoraproject.org>

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:23 AM, Dave Neary <dneary at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> On 01/15/2014 12:50 AM, Adam Miller wrote:
> >     I would like to start a discussion around the relationship between
> IaaS
> > and PaaS as topics for the CentOS Cloud SIG.
> >
> > Should we have one SIG with "sub-SIGs"? Separate SIGs for each? or some
> > other variation?
>
> I see PaaS as an application that runs on IaaS - if we're splitting into
> "Cloud infrastructure" and "Cloud instances/applications" would it be
> more appropriate in the cloud applications SIG?
>
> I would also see the likes of XLCloud (elastic cloud based HPC) fitting
> in that category.
>
> What do you think?

I don't think that's a fair claim to PaaS because PaaS can exist completely
independently of IaaS but can at points have integration. I run OpenShift
Origin at home on bare metal on spare hardware that I don't care to incur
the overhead of virt or IaaS. Because of this I don't like to classify PaaS
as an IaaS application.

-AdamM