[CentOS-devel] Packaging Office hours at 16:00 UTC today

Fri Jan 24 03:11:03 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:

>>> If you compile package that depends on particular version:
>>>
>>> Requires: <deppackage1> = 0.8.1
>>>
>>> then yum will protest if you try to update newer deppackage1 package.
>>> Error will appear, and until you satisfy it nothing will happen.
>>
>> Yes that could work, but it is not very efficient either.  It should
>> be rare for the update to break things but doing that would force you
>> to update every related package after testing just to let the
>> dependency advance even if no changes are required.   Which again
>> would make a flurry of traffic in the repositories and mirrors.
>>
>> --
>
> That is why I pushed for priorities. Everything is dynamic and
> server/infrastructure/repository side and no package rebuilding, just
> moving them little, and it should be possible to do it automatic
> (protection) with git/koji. No amount SCL's and overthinking will beat
> it's simplicity and universality.

But won't that require duplicating the packages into all of the
higher-priority repos?  Is there some magic with symlinks that would
work to make it look like they were duplicated?

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com