[CentOS-devel] Latest builds are now online 2014-06-25_build 4

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Jul 2 15:02:55 UTC 2014

On 07/02/2014 03:53 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> yes, which is what this achieves.
>>
>> No, it doesn't. Close to upstream means 7.0 and not 7-0-core-1406.
>>
>> CentOS 7.0 will reflect RHEL 7.0 codebase / code age. Based on upstream.
>>
>> CentOS 7-0-core-1406 will confuse many people.
>>

> The confusion could be solved by a little table on the CentOS web site
> showing the matching identifiers.  Then again, if it is a 1:1
> correspondence, why change it at all?  Just make the table showing the
> dates....  Or look at the timestamp on the file the way you usually
> find dates when things were done.

this is a great idea, I will write up something that expands on the
numbering and also use that as something to point people working with
variants and alternative media at.

was going to do something for the release announcement, but having it
more visible on the website and often linked ( maybe a readme in
centos-release ? ) might be a great ( and easy ) win.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh