[CentOS-devel] centpkg as rpm ?

Brian Stinson bstinson at ksu.edu
Sat Jul 5 15:37:38 UTC 2014

On Jul 05 11:23, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> I see that centpkg is dependent on pyrpkg from EPEL, and expects one
> to do 'yum install pyrpkg'. That requires manual activation of the
> EPEL repository: Is the EPEL 3rd party repository stable enough for
> RHEL and CentOS 7 yet? This could be GPL copied over straight from
> Scientific Linux, from at
> http://ftp2.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6/SRPMS/SL/yum-conf-epel-6-1.1.src.rpm.
> Or perhaps our CentOS developers have some internal tool they use to
> configure this?
>
> I hope that CentOS can have EPEL as a supported optional yum
> configuration,  if EPEL is going to be critical for using tools like
> centpkg.

Relying on EPEL for now is just a convenience to allow for quicker initial
development. There was some talk of pulling pyrpkg into a CentOS repo proper,
but we haven't had a full conversation yet about what to do with packages that
conflict (such a policy will probably provide some guidance for the SIGs as
well). I should say, I'm not part of the Core SIG so I hope I've characterized
the situation correctly. Once there's a conflict policy in place centpkg will be
updated to comply with that.

Brian

--
Brian Stinson