[CentOS-devel] centpkg as rpm ?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 16:37:00 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 07/05/2014 10:23 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Brian Stinson <bstinson at ksu.edu> wrote:
>>> A specfile is coming up next! I'll post here when I have something built.
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brian Stinson
>>> bstinson at ksu.edu | IRC: bstinson | Bitbucket/Twitter: bstinsonmhk
>> I see that centpkg is dependent on pyrpkg from EPEL, and expects one
>> to do 'yum install pyrpkg'. That requires manual activation of the
>> EPEL repository: Is the EPEL 3rd party repository stable enough for
>> RHEL and CentOS 7 yet? This could be GPL copied over straight from
>> Scientific Linux, from at
>> http://ftp2.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6/SRPMS/SL/yum-conf-epel-6-1.1.src.rpm.
>> Or perhaps our CentOS developers have some internal tool they use to
>> configure this?
>>
>> I hope that CentOS can have EPEL as a supported optional yum
>> configuration,  if EPEL is going to be critical for using tools like
>> centpkg.
>
> The information that pyrpkg is needed for using centpkg.py is in the
> readme on the git.centos.org site in the centpkg repo.

Yes, listed as "root# <Install and configure EPEL-Release>". For one
thing, the package is actually named 'epel-release'.

May I recommend instead:

             "root# <Download and configure relevant epel-release RPM>"

I'd submit it at bugs.centos.org, but there isn't a category there yet
for 'centpkg' or for 'centos-git-common'

> EPEL release will indeed be part of c7-extras .. and also c5 and c6,
> after the EPEL 7 repo comes out of beta.

Great! Nice to hear! The sooner the beta!

> Until then, if someone is not smart enough to figure out how to make
> centpkg to work with git.centos.org because they can't find a python
> dep, then they likely should not be trying to build packages from git in
> the first place.

Oh, boy. That way lies madness, because "finding a python dependency"
is like "finding a perl dependency". Let's be nice to the newbies. Not
all of them have had the opportunity to explore mock and EPEL as
thoroughly as us, and the newly published build system has a steep
enough learning curve.

> It should also be noted that the other published python tool in
> centos-common-git needs the package 'python-requests' which is in the
> EPEL repo.  That is also in the readme for centos-common-git on the site
> as well.

Right. *I* can walk through such dependencies like a walk in the park.
The developers or newer sys-admins whom I have to train? Not so much.
I'm anticipating considerable difficulty getting them to surrender
doing "rpmbuild --rebuild filename.src.rpm'