[CentOS-devel] Validating Sources

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 10:52:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 07/07/2014 11:31 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> You'd need to maintain some kind of separate cross referenced lookup
>> form, constantly being upgraded and inevitably out of date.
>
> given the churn rate for centos tarballs, are you sure ? when i tried
> this last ( was in CentOS-5 days ), it didnt any maint really. you just
> need to trust the source once, and handle exceptions ( of which there
> were very few ).
>
> - KB

Maybe not constantly. A lot of my RPM building lately has been with
EPEL packages, which are much more likely to churn than the more
stable core OS components at RHEL and CentOS. I held up Samba and
Subversion as specific examples I'd personally encountered. I publish
backports of current releases for RHEL 6 for those over at github.com.