[CentOS-devel] Overlap between EPEL and CentOS ( non upstream pkgs )

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 9 11:24:58 UTC 2014

On 07/09/2014 02:37 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> We are going to need to find a way to address content in CentOS ( or
> well, content in EPEL ) where there are packages in centos that didnt
> come from rhel but are going to overlap with whats in EPEL.
>
> Technically, this is a centos.org issue since EPEL's mandate requires
> them to not overlap with RHEL[1]. But with stuff going into
> CentOS-Extras/ and more content coming onboard from SIG's - and even
> from Core SIG - how are we going to address the overlap / flapping
> potential with EPEL ?
>
> I am going to be pulling in cloud-init with a couple of deps, need to
> have these in the centos.org repos to do cloud instance builds.
>
> - KB
>
> [1]: I am not sure if EPEL cant overlap with base RHEL or with variants
> and layered products ?

The only real way to handle it is with excludes or priorities in the yum
config files .. that, or some other thing like epochs or higher versions
in the centos.org content to make it newer (assuming that is the goal).

This will cause issues though, that will will need to work to fix and
provide instructions for in an FAQ, etc ... when they arise.