[CentOS-devel] Overlap between EPEL and CentOS ( non upstream pkgs )

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 17:04:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Sven Kieske <svenkieske at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Technically, this is a centos.org issue since EPEL's mandate
>> requires them to not overlap with RHEL[1]. But with stuff going
>> into CentOS-Extras/ and more content coming onboard from SIG's -
>> and even from Core SIG - how are we going to address the overlap /
>> flapping potential with EPEL ?
>
> I honestly think each sig should sort their issues out themselves.
> reasoning with example:

How do you suggest handling the likely scenario where a SIG adds a new
package not currently in EPEL and subsequently EPEL adds that same
package but with different contents/options/versions?

Or a package in EPEL that a SIG user needs or may add includes the
same file as a SIG package, creating a conflict?  Again, this may
change after releases and block updates when there is no coordination
among the repositories.

These have been common issues, pretty much forever for people using
packages from multiple repositories.   I'm not convinced there is a
generic solution that doesn't involve tracking all of the files and
dependencies across all of the repositories just like you have to
within a single one.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com