[CentOS-devel] RFC: Alternative Desktop SIG

Anders F Björklund afb at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 9 19:46:28 UTC 2014

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

>> Including working with upstream (Xfce and Fedora/EPEL), filing bugs
>> and improving the packaging - seems like they were mostly dumped...
>
> dumped? I've not really seen many if any bugs on epel5 xfce packages...

Well, last time I looked it was still trying to use the "Fedora" icons
from the epel6 package so it seemed like it was built and left there ?

>> The 4.6 Xfce in EPEL 5 was less polished than 4.4 in CentOS 5 Extras.
>> For instance, the whole group (Xfce) is missing from the EPEL comps ?
>
> Odd. I thought i had updated that.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong... I thought it was a "feature", like the
"@buildsys-build" group being missing (replaced that with packages).

>> With EPEL 7 still in beta, and no (or not many) Xfce packages being
>> built so far - I decided to see how far off it was, by using Fedora.
>> Not very, it turned out... It already runs (!), with some minor things
>> like ConsoleKit/systemd and udisks/udisks2, with the .fc18 packages.
>
> nonamedotc at fedoraproject.org has been heading this effort on the epel7
> side. He's been building things in copr first and testing them before
> building in epel. We have the base/core packages aready branched.

Nice! Will make contact with him/her then, and file some new Xfce bugs.
There's some really obscure ones, like the "tab" key not working (!).

>> The first step would be to rebuild "@xfce-desktop" properly for .el7,
>
> Please coordinate with nonamedotc? Or do you intend to just copy this
> into a seperate repo?

I don't think there's any need at this point, it should work right off EPEL.
Basically the user can do: yum --enablerepo=epel groupinstall xfce-desktop

Not sure what the deal is here if you *only* want to include the Desktops SIG,
but not the rest of EPEL ? Sounds like it would involve rebuilding/resigning.

And I have no idea why it is called "epel7" and not "el7" now, if that signals
some further isolation ? I will be running EL, with EPEL disabled by default.

--anders