[CentOS-devel] Delta RPMs disabled by default?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:31:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Sven Kieske <svenkieske at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09.07.2014 19:14, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I've been looking for a sane way to get repeatable updates out of
>> yum forever (i.e. update production to match your last QA update
>> after testing is complete
> You really want to implement a config management solution for this.
> Pick one:
> ansible, cfengine, chef, puppet, saltstack etc. etc..

So you are saying that the system does not have its own sane way to
manage packages?

The problem with these is that they add an additional layer of
complexity and don't do what I specifically want done - which is to
reverse-engineer the updated package revisions after testing is
completed and repeat updates to those same package version numbers
modulo any differences in hardware related packages and some special
cases that are our own local location specific packages.  Except for
saltstack, they don't seem that well designed for cross-platform
environments and even there windows seems like an afterthought - and
it seems sort of fragile the way things can break if you update
clients ahead of the server.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com