[CentOS-devel] CentOS7 minimal install ISO

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Sun Jul 13 12:29:57 UTC 2014

On 13/07/14 14:19, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 13/07/14 02:24, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
>> On 28/06/14 11:44, Anssi Johansson wrote:
>>> Please note that some install options will automatically pull in some
>>> extra packages. For example, installing on an encrypted filesystem will
>>> pull in some packages, and installing on software RAID will pull in some
>>> another set of packages. Here's a list of packages that I think are one
>>> way or another affected by this (and their dependencies):
>>>
>>> chrony
>>> cryptsetup
>>> cryptsetup-libs
>>> device-mapper-event
>>> device-mapper-event-libs
>>> device-mapper-persistent-data
>>> dosfstools
>>> efibootmgr
>>> grub2
>>> grub2-efi
>>> grubby
>>> libreport-filesystem
>>> lvm2
>>> lvm2-libs
>>> mdadm
>>> mokutil
>>> shim
>>> shim-unsigned
>>>
>>> I would suggest making sure these packages get included, otherwise some
>>> functionality of the installer may break.
>>>
>>> anaconda also mentions realmd. I suppose it would get installed if
>>> anaconda needs to access an Active Directory server during installation.
>>> That package depends on PackageKit-glib, libarchive, oddjob,
>>> oddjob-mkhomedir and psmisc. I don't have an AD server here at home, but
>>> I suppose it'd work like
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_realmd_join_kickstart
>>
>> I did a minimal install under VBox this evening then ran yum install for
>> the 18 packages listed above. 8 of those were already installed so this
>> added 10 to the mix. I didn't include the ones listed as Active
>> Directory. I then ran this in the Packages dir of the DVD1 with just the
>> rpm names in my txt file:
>>
>> $ for f in $(cat /tmp/rpmnames.txt); do ls -la $f-[0-9]*; done >
>> /tmp/rpmnls.txt
>> $ awk '{ n += $5 } END { print n }' /tmp/rpmnls.txt
>> 210154444
>>
>> I've now attached that list to my mail in the format discussed on IRC.
>> If I'm right about 210MB then I don't think space on a CD will be too
>> much of a problem but let's wait and see what it turns out like once
>> it's built ;-)

> I've also started to produce a minimal.iso (and so packages manifest)
> It's not about the packages size, but the size of the install media
> *without* any package at all (and metadata) :
>
> 5.9M		EFI/
> 438M	images/ (we can remove boot.iso , obviously -> 76M)
> 70M		isolinux/
> 279M	LiveOS/
>
> and we still have to add the packages .. so not sure it will fit on a
> single CD. and if the goal is to produce a DVD iso image, I don't think
> people will be interested in "wasting" a DVD for a ~1G iso instead of
> the normal DVD, that covers both minimal and other "variants" ...
>
> I'll give it a try though (and speaking about minimal, not micro
> instance that was mentioned too)

Faster than I thought :

-rw-r--r--. 1 root   root   633M Jul 13 13:27
CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-minimal.iso

Let's try it and also try to cover all features needed now for various
install scenarios (efi/mdadm/iscsi/fcoe/etc ....)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab