[CentOS-devel] Cloud image default login

Jimmy Kaplowitz jkaplowitz at google.com
Wed Jul 16 05:03:45 UTC 2014

Hi Nico,

You and I completely agree that unexpected discrepancies often cause
problems, break workflows, and make people hate security changes. I've been
a Debian developer for over 13 years and a UNIX sysadmin for longer than
that. There are many cases where I've made arguments similar to yours
inside Google, sometimes even mentioning "knife ssh" itself (yes I've used
Chef), and we're more compatible with customers' non-GCE automation because
of such arguments.

Despite all of that, adding this account management daemon in GCE makes
sense, as do the other carefully chosen integration bits we add. Our
account daemon can certainly be disabled without harm (e.g. via systemctl
in CentOS 7), doesn't interfere with UNIX ways of working, and doesn't
dictate what we do about the root account. It's even careful not to remove
keys which were added separately by users, distinguishing carefully via
comment lines. All of the software we add is of course free and open source
software, typically under the Apache License 2.0, and also typically
human-readable Python, shell, systemd unit files, or the like. Some of our
software is even packaged in RPMs (built via a hacky internal process); we
do plan to reach out to coordinate proper RPM packaging and integration
into a suitable CentOS repository.

Regarding your specific concerns about root's passwd data, we don't change
that. I forget whether we change CentOS's root SSH login setting; we do
change a few other things like disabling password SSH auth and putting in
some connection keepalive settings, but it's quite close to stock config.
We try to keep our deviations justifiable, and if you think any are not,
we'd like to hear about them. :) As one example justification, the SSH
connection keepalive is because TCP connections that remain idle too many
minutes will get dropped by the GCE firewall.

- Jimmy

We aren't changing root's passwd data.