[CentOS-devel] dist tag in rebuild SRPM

David Mansfield centos at dm.cobite.com
Wed Jul 16 14:52:14 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 10:10 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/16/2014 08:54 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> On 07/16/2014 04:41 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> upstream has, which can be any number of things.  So that means every
>>> single package has to have its dist tag checked.  This is nothing new,
>>> it has been around and the policy since the beginning of CentOS-4.
>> the change in centos-release to default to .elN.centos instead of .elN
>> is "new", relatively speaking ( *). and makes life a bit awkward for
>> those who want to recompile a src.rpm and end with .el7.centos instead
>> of .el as release tag
>>
>> *  it appeared in C6, sometime last year. there was a mail thread on that
> That is true ..  what the default is could be different, but all the
> other parts ... Multiple dist tags used, is true for all versions of
> centos and rhel.  So, each package, if you are building from SRPMS from
> either RHEL or CentOS, needs to have its dist tag found individually if
> you want to match upstream.
>
> The default is not normally the tag used unless it happens to be a point
> release (by upstream) ... most errata releases between point releases
> will be ,el7_0 or .el5_10, etc.

I appreciate the explanation - makes perfect sense to me.  I'll just be
"wary" each time I rebuild an SRPM to specify the %dist macro somewhere
either in the spec or command line or whatever.  I just got caught by
surprise that the packages I had just built were "incompatible" with my
system - ie. caused dependency hell.

--
Thanks,
David Mansfield,