[CentOS-devel] RFC: Alternative Desktop SIG

Anders F Björklund

afb at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 9 19:00:45 UTC 2014

29 maj 2014 kl. 00.29 skrev Stephen John Smoogen:

> On 24 May 2014 07:44, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> Right now we've been reasonably 'heads-down' on building the seven rc
>> and getting prepared for when 7 lands, but I haven't heard anything more
>> from the folks who proposed the sig. We have been in contact with the
>> EPEL folks to stuff in there. Currently epel has both mate and cinnamon,
>> and may pick up more once 7 goes gold.
>
> My apologies. I have been head down in my own work and let this get
> away. What do people want to hear on this and want to see? My starting
> issue was to get a conversation started and see who was interested in
> what desktops and such without it being a one guy SIG.

Hi, I am interested in getting the Xfce desktop "supported" for CentOS.

Including working with upstream (Xfce and Fedora/EPEL), filing bugs
and improving the packaging - seems like they were mostly dumped...
The 4.6 Xfce in EPEL 5 was less polished than 4.4 in CentOS 5 Extras.
For instance, the whole group (Xfce) is missing from the EPEL comps ?

I can do rpm packaging, spec file creation/editing and mock building.
I don't use any of the other minority or retro desktop environments,
like LXDE or MATE/Trinity, so "just" the GTK+-based desktop of Xfce.
Think it's around 50-100 packages (mandatory-optional) for CentOS 5-7.

With EPEL 7 still in beta, and no (or not many) Xfce packages being
built so far - I decided to see how far off it was, by using Fedora.
Not very, it turned out... It already runs (!), with some minor things
like ConsoleKit/systemd and udisks/udisks2, with the .fc18 packages.

The first step would be to rebuild "@xfce-desktop" properly for .el7,
next step is apps (midori/claws-mail/etc) and office (abiword/gnumeric).
Or possibly just ignore those for now and use Mozilla and LibreOffice ?
I also had some ideas about the default theme for icons and background.

Details at: http://afb.users.sourceforge.net/xfce/xfce-desktop.html

--anders