[CentOS-devel] Overlap between EPEL and CentOS ( non upstream pkgs )

Brian Stinson

bstinson at ksu.edu
Wed Jul 9 14:08:41 UTC 2014

On Jul 09 08:37, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> We are going to need to find a way to address content in CentOS ( or
> well, content in EPEL ) where there are packages in centos that didnt
> come from rhel but are going to overlap with whats in EPEL.
>
> Technically, this is a centos.org issue since EPEL's mandate requires
> them to not overlap with RHEL[1]. But with stuff going into
> CentOS-Extras/ and more content coming onboard from SIG's - and even
> from Core SIG - how are we going to address the overlap / flapping
> potential with EPEL ?
>
> I am going to be pulling in cloud-init with a couple of deps, need to
> have these in the centos.org repos to do cloud instance builds.
>
> - KB
>
> [1]: I am not sure if EPEL cant overlap with base RHEL or with variants
> and layered products ?
>
> --
> Karanbir Singh
> +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
> GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc

Will there be a "review" process for conflicting packages? I was thinking we
could gather some epel "liasons" who are well-versed in the EPEL policies who
can provide advice to new SIG developers. That way we also have a record of what
conflicts. Of course this doesn't solve the actual technical problem at hand :)

Brian

--
Brian Stinson
bstinson at ksu.edu | IRC: bstinson | Bitbucket/Twitter: bstinsonmhk