[CentOS-devel] Overlap between EPEL and CentOS ( non upstream pkgs )

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:10:46 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:

>>> The only real way to handle it is with excludes or priorities in the yum
>>> config files .. that, or some other thing like epochs or higher versions
>>> in the centos.org content to make it newer (assuming that is the goal).
>> I am hoping we can find a way to communicate this and sync with the epel
>> folks in a manner that it does not cause too much issues. priorities
>> will help i guess, but it will cause issues when people want to consume
>> one and not the other ( either way ), specially when its down to libs
>>

> Can;t we go with a new/separate repo , default disabled,  with different
> (higher) priority ?

It's not that simple. The historic problem with EPEL is that when you
want a package they don't initially have it. So you get it from some
other 3rd party repo.   Then EPEL adds it.  At that point there is no
'right' answer to the question of which one you want.  It may
subsequently be better-maintained in EPEL, but the switch may not be
transparent (different configs/build options, etc.).  Or the EPEL
version may be crippled by restrictions on code that can be
distributed in the US or have build options that don't meet your
needs.  I don't think a default priority can make this choice
correctly.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com