[CentOS-devel] Delta RPMs disabled by default?

Nathanael D. Noblet

nathanael at gnat.ca
Fri Jul 11 22:42:22 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 14:38 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >>
> >> So you are saying that the system does not have its own sane way to
> >> manage packages?
> >
> > Most do. But there are often subtle implications. The chef "java"
> > cookbook, for example, has no option to set a particular RPM release
> > number, only to select a basic java "7" or "6" major release, and to
> > select the openjdk or Oracle versions. When the original author did
> > not appreciate the desire for more granularity, it can be very
> > difficult to get the  subtleties like particular Java release
> > installed as needed.
>
> But that would be exactly the thing I'd need to control  - and I don't
> want to control it by having to know anything about the packages ahead
> of time.  For example updating to versions between java1.7u25 and
> 1.7u55 would have broken an elasticsearch cluster.  But I wouldn't
> have known that ahead of time to use any top-down control.  I want to
> control it by taking a known-good instance, built/tested by some group
> that knows the details of the component they develop best, and be able
> to duplicate that system as exactly as possible (allowing for
> hardware/network/etc. differences), updating some subset of production
> boxes at a time over some timespan.

Hello,

  So I haven't fully followed the thread and thus may not be helping.
However I think what you are looking for is called ostree. I have never
personally used it but I think it fills the niche you are looking for
which is a broad set of testable updates. No idea of the pros/cons but
may be what you want to look at.

--
Nathanael