[CentOS-devel] [Patch] Preupgrade assistant: platform

Laurent Rineau

laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Wed Jul 16 10:31:04 UTC 2014

Le Wednesday 16 July 2014 09:35:22 Manuel Mausz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> attached are two patches to make the preupgrade assistant recognize
> centos and actually do something. Without these patches no tests will
> run as the platform won't match (aka "notapplicable").

Thanks for the patch. For testing, I patched the files directly in
/usr/share/*/.

Indeed, the preupg script does a different job now, and is a lot more useful!

> I haven't done much testing as I'm on vacation until next week.
>
> Also there are plenty of places that mention RHEL (grep says 155x "Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux", 336x "RHEL"). e.g: "After upgrading to RHEL 7
> ....", "w3m not available in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7", etc..
> Should we replace all of them?

Two things that must be patched, so that is can be fully usable:

 1/ It does not recognize CentOS as an authorized variant of RHEL. I quote
from the results:
============
  Result for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server variant

   Result: fail

   Rule ID: xccdf_preupg_rule_system_ServerOnly_server

   Time: 2014-07-16 12:01

   Upgrade is supported only to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server variant.

    Remediation instructions

   Only upgrade of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server variant is supported at the
moment. Upgrade of Workstation, Client and Compute Node is not supported.

 extreme_risk [unknown]: This system is CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
 INPLACERISK: EXTREME: Only upgrade of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server is
supported.
============

  2/ It complains about packages that are not signed by Redhat, and reports
all packages singed by CentOS. I quote from the results:
============
  Result for Packages not signed by Red Hat

   Result: needs_action

   Rule ID: xccdf_preupg_rule_packages_NonRHSignedPkg_nonrhpkg

   Time: 2014-07-16 11:13

   Packages not signed by Red Hat will not be upgraded

    Remediation instructions

   Packages which are not signed with the official Red Hat keys will not be
upgraded. These packages are typically provided by third parties or have been
modified in some way. There is a high risk of
   incompatibility with these packages as they have not been verified by Red
Hat. For upgrade assistance, contact the vendors of these packages.

   You can find a list of all unsigned packages including the vendor names in
the kickstart/nonrhpkgs file.

 INPLACERISK: HIGH: We detected some non-RH signed packages, you can find the
list in /root/preupgrade/./kickstart/nonrhpkgs. You need to handle them
yourself!
============

After that, the --force option of `redhat-upgrade-tool` is still needed.
Without it, the tool says:
============
setting up repos...
preupgrade-assistant risk check found EXTREME risks for this upgrade.
Run preupg --riskcheck --verbose to view these risks.
Continuing with this upgrade is not recommended.
zsh: exit 1     sudo redhat-upgrade-tool

Now, I will go on with the `redhat-upgrade-tool` with --force, and report the
results...

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau