[CentOS-devel] dist tag in rebuild SRPM

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 16 13:53:44 UTC 2014

On 07/15/2014 10:02 AM, David Mansfield wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Congrats on Centos 7, and thanks a million!
>
> This may have been answered before but I can't seem to discover...
>
> I did:
>
> yumdownloader --source sssd
> rpmbuild --rebuild sssd-1.11.2-68.el7_0.5.src.rpm
>
> And the packages I got had a different "dist" tag than the installed
> versions.
>
> Installed versions are ".el7_0" and the built ones were ".el7.centos".
>
> sssd-1.11.2-68.el7_0.5.x86_64                <== in repo
> sssd-1.11.2-68.el7.centos.5.x86_64       <== rebuilt locally
>
> Is there a reason for this mismatch and is in intentional or an error?
> It's a pain in the butt because I often want to replace existing package
> version using 'rpm --replacepkgs --oldpackage' while testing fixes and
> this makes it close to impossible due to huge dependency issues.
>
> (also, it seems like the default rebuild of the above package "forgets"
> to generate one of the necessary packages: python-sssdconfig, but thats
> a different issue).

Also note that if you do checkouts from git instead of yumdownloader, we
have specifically added an into_srpm.sh script that calls
return_disttag.sh and builds an SRPM from the tree.  There is no reason
you can't also use those script in any rpmbuild extracted build area ...
it should work there too

scripts located here:

https://git.centos.org/summary/centos-git-common.git