[CentOS-devel] Overlap between EPEL and CentOS ( non upstream pkgs )

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Sat Jul 19 10:46:25 UTC 2014

On 07/09/2014 07:04 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Sven Kieske <svenkieske at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Technically, this is a centos.org issue since EPEL's mandate
>>> requires them to not overlap with RHEL[1]. But with stuff going
>>> into CentOS-Extras/ and more content coming onboard from SIG's -
>>> and even from Core SIG - how are we going to address the overlap /
>>> flapping potential with EPEL ?
>>
>> I honestly think each sig should sort their issues out themselves.
>> reasoning with example:
>
> How do you suggest handling the likely scenario where a SIG adds a new
> package not currently in EPEL and subsequently EPEL adds that same
> package but with different contents/options/versions?
>
> Or a package in EPEL that a SIG user needs or may add includes the
> same file as a SIG package, creating a conflict?  Again, this may
> change after releases and block updates when there is no coordination
> among the repositories.
>
> These have been common issues, pretty much forever for people using
> packages from multiple repositories.   I'm not convinced there is a
> generic solution that doesn't involve tracking all of the files and
> dependencies across all of the repositories just like you have to
> within a single one.

I have already suggested entire yum-plugin-priorities structure in this
thread:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-January/009372.html

and here:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-January/009520.html

And I created/explained repository hierarchy here:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-January/009595.html

I am willing to further explain/expand on what I propose, so it is
understood as best as possible.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)