[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Sun Jun 8 01:15:42 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 07:52:07PM +0100, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> On 07/06/14 19:45, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > As Trevor said, we just say, "CentOS 6.4 is no
> > longer supported. Please update to 6.5". On the other hand,
> > "CentOS-6.1302 is no longer supported. Please update to CentOS-6.1311
> > because it is June of 2014 today" sounds a bit cumbersome.
>
> We also lose that 1:1 mapping with upstream where we're often asked "is
> CentOS 6.5 the same as RHEL 6.5".
>
> Are you aiming to release new isos for every update? or every month? If
> not then I suggest we stick with the current naming convention as it
> fits better with the release of the media.

+1 for keeping the status quo.  You've a decade of history maintaining
the 1:1 mapping and it's what people expect.  I realize that there are
new requirements and constraints that the project must accommodate but
something as core as this should remain consistent.  In a followup post
to this thread Trevor raises a good point in that it is hard enough to
get people to update as it is; the dated versioning is going to make
that even more difficult.

							John
--
"Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each
man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man

--  William James