[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Mon Jun 9 01:33:55 UTC 2014

On 06/09/2014 12:55 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Well I think this is more about defining what people think of as change
> and no change. Being the internet I am sure there are some set of people
> who will define any new release as being a change in the core product
> and thus a breakage. And there will be people who are at the other end
> of the spectrum and ok with all the change in the world as long as the
> name is CentOS and the first number is similar to the RHEL name. And
> then there are a ton of definitions of what is change and what isn't in
> between.
>
> So a better discussion is I think people defining what they would accept
> as being 'change' and what is not change. The board has stated their
> view of change and various users are defining in a piecemeal way what is
> their definition of change. I think that it might be better if the users
> state a bit clearer so that the board has a definite idea of where the
> lines are.

It's more than just a cosmetic change.  Any 3rd party installer that
relies on the version number in /etc/redhat-release will break as a
result of this change (bad practice, but it happens).  Any manager that
does not understand that CentOS 7.YYMM == RHEL 7.X will be much harder
to convince.

This is most definitely a break from compatibility.

Peter