[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Dan Porter dpreid at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 08:57:22 UTC 2014

Personally I like Jake Shipton’s suggestion. I have been a CentOS user for
many years, from 4.x onwards, for both business use and personal projects.

I prefer matching RHEL versioning - if RHEL is using 7.1, 7.2, etc. we
should use that. There’s two systems of sub-versioning I like:

7.1-1.15, 7.2-1.24, etc. (SIG version)
7.3_1139, etc. (SIG revision)

If CentOS aims for full binary compatibility, any tool that checks for
RedHat version should relay the red hat version string (such as
etc/redhat-version). I think that /etc/centos-version) should show the SIG
version as well.

If anything, I dislike the YYMM format suggested above, for two reasons. a)
Date format could be confused (like Jake said) and b) this limits us to one
patch release a month. Although an uncommon occurrence, I’d prefer to use a
format that doesn't have this limitation.

My two cents.

Dan
​