[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:31:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Brian Stinson <bstinson at ksu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014, at 7:33, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> We're not talking about significant (or really even trivial) code
>> changes here. We have no intention of breaking compatibility with 3rd
>> party repos or software tied to a specific version with this. This is
>> simply planning to avoid painting ourselves into a corner.
>
> Please forgive the ignorance if I am missing something, but if there are
> no code changes what is the motivator for new release numbers? Are there
> concrete examples of what would change between monthly releases?

One thing I've occasionally tried to do and had some difficultly is to
try to reproduce some arbitrary back-rev installation of RHEL or
Centos.  The main reason for this would be for developers to reproduce
and fix some issue someone else reported where that 'someone else' has
their reasons to not update.   It is problematic enough to reproduce a
specific set of packages, but once CentOS bumps the minor rev you have
to pull any older updates (between the install media version and the
next minor rev) out of the vault. Will there be an easier way to
handle that scenario?

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com