[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Mon Jun 9 23:42:15 UTC 2014

On 06/10/2014 12:33 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 06/09/2014 04:05 PM, Peter wrote:
>> On 06/10/2014 05:21 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>>> Indeed. In some areas, we already are. That's what we want to turn
>>> around. This is the fundamental reason why we can't simply rest and keep
>>> doing what we've been doing. Even if we're flawless in the core mission,
>>> we'd still be ignoring emerging areas where we must grow to survive.
>> I don't think I've seen anyone argue against SIGs here.  I think most
>> people on this list understand the importance of SIGs to CentOS and the
>> future that CentOS will have with them.  What I see is many people here
>> saying that SIGs should not dictate the direction of the core OS, that
>> needs to remain pure to upstream.
>
> No one is saying that anything in the Core OS is changing ... the Core
> OS will be the Core OS.  It will be ONLY packages in the RHEL tree and
> it will not contain anything extra.  That is not the issue here.  The
> issue is, people think they can run CentOS-6.4 after 6.5 is released and
> it is the same as running RHEL-6.4 AUS/EUS ... and its not.  Our
> numbering is not like their numbering and that is causing massive
> confusion that we need to fix.  One can absolutely, positively not stay
> behind and have security.  It is very dangerous.
>
> Add to that the fact that the SIGs also may need to have a new installer
> be created between RHEL releases, so we may (or may not ... only time
> will tell) need to create some new install trees.
>
> None of that adds packages into the os/ or updates/ directory that is
> not in RHEL ... that will be the same and people will have to opt-in to
> get anything that is not Core .. just like they do now.
>
> <snip>

So far solution was: "To be on the latest version, please run 'yum
update -y'".

If someone needs to stop on certain version, that person is most likely
already a professional with an understanding. Solution to stay on CentOS
6.4 is to provide /6.4/updates repository next to /6.4/os. And maybe
provide release package for all minor version, if admin of such system
is not smart enough to change it by hand.

But to wreak havoc on unsuspecting newbies that we all are trying to
attract, not chase away. And that havoc will spill out to people doing
support, for CentOS users not ready to ditch it but unable to
comprehend/track changes.

What about keeping 6.5 versioning but also releasing 6.201406 kind of
ISO respins (with modified release packages?)?

I am also trying to understand which case scenario would demand such
drastic change. Negative aspects are so many, but I can not comprehend
what could possible be positive ones. So give us real world examples of
what you thing would be a problem, convince us this change is needed.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)