[CentOS-devel] /etc/redhat-release

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Jun 10 15:19:33 UTC 2014

Hi all!

I think it was on this list, in the last week or so I saw some comment
about how some apps may grope the contents of /etc/redhat-release when
installing themselves, so as to figure how which OS they're running on,
and there was some mention of this not being the best of all possible
ideas.

What I'm not sure of is what would be a better way for an app installer
to find out which OS version it's being installed on. Can someone offer
me some enlightenment

Thanks!