[CentOS-devel] pending updates notification on login

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Jun 12 14:01:14 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 02:45 PM, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

> I checked further and older ubuntu releases used to use update-motd but
> they've now modified pam_motd to invoke the scripts in
> /etc/update-motd.d on login instead. I checked my RHEL7rc VM and those
> modifications are not present there.

this is just a super complex solution to a problem that is far simpler
than it seems.

if a yum-plugin is able to drop the number somewhere, an echo in .skel
would be all the 'UI' we need, and if its there for the default user on
instance bringup, the skel should get copied over ( and then the user
can do whatever they please ) to all new users as well.

would that be all we need here ?

--
Karanbir Singh