[CentOS-devel] pending updates notification on login

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 20:22:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

>> I checked further and older ubuntu releases used to use update-motd but
>> they've now modified pam_motd to invoke the scripts in
>> /etc/update-motd.d on login instead. I checked my RHEL7rc VM and those
>> modifications are not present there.
>
> this is just a super complex solution to a problem that is far simpler
> than it seems.
>
> if a yum-plugin is able to drop the number somewhere, an echo in .skel
> would be all the 'UI' we need, and if its there for the default user on
> instance bringup, the skel should get copied over ( and then the user
> can do whatever they please ) to all new users as well.
>
> would that be all we need here ?

Minor warning: if you are using backuppc to back up a host with rsync
over ssh, it will fail if there is any output before the rsync
startup.   Native rsync will ignore it, but not the backuppc server's
rsync-in-perl implementation.   So, randomly adding messages at login
may have side effects.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com