[CentOS-devel] pending updates notification on login

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 20:34:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

>> Minor warning: if you are using backuppc to back up a host with rsync
>> over ssh, it will fail if there is any output before the rsync
>> startup.   Native rsync will ignore it, but not the backuppc server's
>> rsync-in-perl implementation.   So, randomly adding messages at login
>> may have side effects.
>>

> does it fail, with enough context to figure out what happened ? if so,
> we then just need to make it easy to turn off.

I think it tries to interpret the ascii value of the text as an rsync
version number and logs it as a mismatch.  So not exactly a 'user
friendly' error message, and since backuppc normally runs unattended
you may not find out about it until several days have passed - and
then only if your email setup works.

But,if it only displays on interactive logins (where ssh doesn't pass
a command) it should be OK.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com