[CentOS-devel] pending updates notification on login

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:36:19 UTC 2014

On 12 June 2014 08:01, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> On 06/12/2014 02:45 PM, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> >
> > I checked further and older ubuntu releases used to use update-motd but
> > they've now modified pam_motd to invoke the scripts in
> > /etc/update-motd.d on login instead. I checked my RHEL7rc VM and those
> > modifications are not present there.
>
> this is just a super complex solution to a problem that is far simpler
> than it seems.
>
> if a yum-plugin is able to drop the number somewhere, an echo in .skel
> would be all the 'UI' we need, and if its there for the default user on
> instance bringup, the skel should get copied over ( and then the user
> can do whatever they please ) to all new users as well.

So a cron job which does a

yum list updates | awk 'BEGIN{x=0}; {if ($NF~'update') {x=x+1}}; END{print
"Your system is behind  " x " updates."}' > /etc/centos-updates
Your system is behind  37 updates.

with it all being in python or something. Then in .bashrc a bit of 'if tty
&& SEENALREADY then cat /etc/centos-updates; SEENALREADY=1; fi' type logic

--
Stephen J Smoogen.