[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 Public QA Release Beginner's Question

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:40:23 UTC 2014

On 14 June 2014 09:22, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> On 06/14/2014 01:28 PM, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
> >      Looks like a great lot of work, so thanks for the effort.  As a
> > Fedora Testor I am puzzled somewhat though.  Is there available
> > reading material and such as how I would go about using these rpm with
> > a qemu/kvm for testing without having the installer available yet?
> > Obviously I can test the install media when it exists just like I do
> > for Fedora, but using these trees of rpms is a new skill I am hoping
> > to add.  Don't want to bog anyone down with explaining it in detail,
> > as I don't mind reading and teaching myself, just need pointed where
> > to look.
>
> we also spend quite a bit of time looking at and working with the rpms
> themselves to make sure they built ok, carry the right metadata, and
> then work on the branding stuff - ideally that, and migration paths from
> 6 to 7 are what we'd be expecting people to be consuming and testing here.

Here is an idea from what I did for the CentOS-5 days. Install the
Fedora-19 with a minimal set of packages. Try and update the OS from the
CentOS tree and see if that works.

Look for packages that were in Fedora 19 minimal and not in the CentOS tree
and see if they can be removed. If they can't be then record that as
"cruft".

Reboot and see if that works. If it does then use that mostly CentOS-6.9901
as your initial image to run from and begin testing more packages from
there.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.