[CentOS-devel] RHEL Extras and what we might do with them

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Tue Jun 17 20:00:15 UTC 2014

On 17/06/14 18:06, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> So we now have RHEL media, RHEL optionals and RHEL Extras. Optionals and
> media seems to tie in as before, however Extras has its own policy +
> lifeterm etc.
>
> Thoughts on what we might do with those rpms ? I'd have though that
> putting them in CentOS-Extras would line up nicely. Content that is
> available out of the blocks to anyone with a CentOS install, but not
> themselves included in the distro.
>
> thoughts ?

Well, my first reaction was "yeah, +1" like for other people who already
answered.
But I have to mitigate my anwer, as I see that "Extras (upstream one)
has its own policy + lifeterm".
Have we read that policy to be sure that packages that will appear in
that repo will not overwrite base packages ? As, as I understand it,
it's an additional repo/channel that people can decide to opt-in (not
there by default) , which is not what we're doing, as our Extras repo
comes with "enabled=1" .. or do we change it to "enabled=0" in our yum
.repo file, so that people can easily opt-in if they want to ?

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab