[CentOS-devel] RDO on CentOS

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Jun 18 14:32:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 17:35 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> From the EPEL side of the fence, the reason that OpenStack isn't in
> EPEL anymore is due to three factors:
>

> 1) You really can't parallel y install it unless you do it via
> software collections
> 2) Updates to it aren't guaranteed to be  without headache (command
> come, commands go, etc)
> 3) Lifetimes of the stack are shorter and aren't supportable after
> they get replaced.

So I should clarify. Having packages in EPEL is a signal to me a as a
user that the developers/packagers will make sure their released version
works with the packages available in the repos, they are following the
packaging guidelines/standards, aren't providing newer base packages
that may break other dependencies etc. This can be signaled multiple
ways, but the biggest thing is that I know if it is in EPEL it already
exists as part of an ecosystem - it can't conflict or replace base
versions that may be needed by other apps on the system. So somehow that
message needs to be communicated. The idea that using RDO packages will
not conflict with base packages / whatever and that care is taken to
make sure it works and is tested with the targeted system.

I'm more than willing to use not base/epel packages. However doing so
often complicates my life afterwards. Granted I would expect systems
using RDO to not be running other services/apps since it kinda doesn't
make much sense to have a cloud system, and one of the base hardware
also running mail/web whatever apps. Those might as well be part of a
cloud instance.

--
Nathanael