[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 13:53:00 UTC 2014

On 6/20/14, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> The issue here is that they are not the same and we (the CentOS Project)
> have an obligation to communicate that to our users.  Our updates are
> just a point in time snapshot of the main line MAJOR tree ... that is
> what they are now and what they always have been.  It is all about the
> /7/ and not about the point.

I want to be sure I understand this, so please correct me if I am wrong.

All I can understand about this whole issue is that:

- There are security updates available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
that The CentOS Project isn't able to introduce in its distribution
because of the release numbering schema it is currently using, right?
So,

- The CentOS Project is trying to address the missing security updates
issue by changing its release numbering schema, right?

> What better way to communicate that they are not standalone but are all
> only part of the MAJOR release and a POINT IN TIME part of that major
> release than to name them "<MAJOR RELEASE>.<POINT IN TIME>" ?

If that is all about, I don't see any better option than <MAJOR
RELEASE>.<POINT IN TIME> and so, you do have my vote of trust to move
on with the new release schema. It looks like a more precise and
reality-consequent schema to me.

Thanks,
--al.