[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 16:06:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> The issue becomes complicated when there are point-in-time snapshots,
> even from the CoreSIG for things like docker images, cloud images etc
> where we need to have new ones done ( hello heartbleed! ) which dont
> have a connection with an upstream 1:1 - these images do still need to
> retain an upstream connection to the last point release, and having the
> 7.YYMM notion helps with that.

I'm not sure I followed all of this conversation, but what is supposed
to happen if a SIG distro is broken by some core update package and
needs to hold back the update timing until additional changes are
made?    And what happens if this occurs at a CentOS point release
where intermediate updates are discarded and only the newest retained.
  Would someone installing a SIG disto then be unable to update at all
or only to a version that will break their system?   Or will they have
independent update repos to avoid this situation?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com