[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sat Jun 21 19:06:42 UTC 2014

On 21/06/14 17:56, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 06/21/2014 08:49 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>>

>> Just to emphasize, people want COMPATIBILITY with RHEL, that is why we
>> use it. If there will be no PERCEIVED compatibility, people will start
>> waling away from CentOS. As simple as that.
>
> And the CentOS goal is full functional compatibility.

Johnny, I'm sorry to keep on at you, but this phrasing is another thing
that bothers me.

For the last however many years (~10 years?) the CentOS Project has
always stated the goal is "100% binary compatibility". Now the change to
"full functional compatibility". It's not the same thing. Again, to me
all these things just send a signal of trying to dilute the direct
relationship that exists between CentOS and RHEL.

Some may see this as nitpicking, but I'm concerned that the primary
stated goal for the last however many years has completely disappeared
from all official CentOS sites. Searching the Wiki now only finds
references to the phrase "100% binary compatibility" in archived release
notes and the main website makes absolutely no mention of RHEL nor the
relationship between the two distributions.

Why would the CentOS Project stop using the phrase "100% binary
compatibility"? Have folks at Red Hat asked you not to use that phrase
any more? Do you still aim for "100% binary compatibility"? If not,
that's fine but lets get that fact out there so we all know where we
stand. If so, then lets say it as it's a really clear indication of what
CentOS aims to be - a 100% binary compatible clone of RHEL. Lets get it
on the front page of the website and the Wiki so folks know exactly what
they are buying into.