[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Chris St. Pierre chris.a.st.pierre at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 19:54:33 UTC 2014

It's amazing how quickly people trot out conspiracy theories when the stuff
they're getting for free might be free but slightly different.

I haven't weighed in on this thread-o'-doom yet, and I was hoping not to,
but it has simply jumped the fucking shark.  If you're really that
concerned about our new Red Hat overlords, I'd like to make two suggestions:

1.  Fedora is coming up on its 21st release, which, at one every six months
(roughly), comes out to over a decade of free, community Linux.  During
that entire time Fedora has been in bed, to a substantial degree, with Red
Hat.  (Note that I use the non-legal metaphor "in bed" instead of risking
some petty bullshit semantic quibble over whether they're "led by" or
"owned by" or whatever.  They're sleeping together, okay?)  And during that
entire time, great bearded prophets of doom have emerged from the desert to
proclaim that Fedora N-1 was surely the last free and open Fedora because
the crushing hand of Genghis Red Hat is squeezing everything good out of
it.  I'd wager a beer (and this is a serious offer) that every single
Fedora release after Fedora Core 1 has had at least one such Chicken
Little.  Take a browse through their various mailing lists.

Luckily, CentOS will have its Sandy Hook deniers right from its first
release after knocking boots with Red Hat.

Maybe Red Hat is just completely fucking incompetent at corporate takeovers
of community projects.  Maybe they aren't even trying to take over Fedora
or CentOS.  Maybe they already have and we're all living in The Matrix
brought to you by Red Hat and we don't even know it.  Draw your own
conclusions.

2.  Absolutely nothing is stopping anyone -- including experienced
rebuilders like the SL folks -- from building their own OMG MOAR OPEN
rebuild.  Nothing.  In fact, git.centos.org makes it *easier*, because we
have changelogs and historical sources and shit like that, not just a bunch
of SRPMs that represent the current state of the repo.  If RH really wanted
to undermine community rebuilds and prevent them from challenging their
market supremacy, they sure as hell would.  For instance, I bet a clever
lawyer could make a compelling case that RH only needs to release the
sources, not the specfiles.  And they don't have to release their source
modifications at all for many of the more permissive FOSS licenses.  They
could royally fuck everyone who runs a free clone if that was their schtick.

Again, draw your own conclusions.  Maybe RH is just incompetent.

Then again, maybe we've got a zillion-post thread with an SNR that's
indistinguishable from zero because:

1.  CentOS is now *more* open than ever, and rather than just making this
change they're soliciting community involvement.  Which is good.  (And they
seem to be listening to the need to reflect the RH minor version in the
CentOS release version, too.)

2.  Some people can't cope with change.  When I was in .edu we used to tell
this joke:

Q: How many professors does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: *CHANGE*?!?!?

Oh noes, RH decided to change the way they give away mountains of work that
they're not required to!

Oh noes, several the CentOS core devs (who had employers before -- you know
that, right?  and those employers surely expected value from their
investment then -- you know that, too, right?) now work for RH!

Oh noes, there's occasionally a point of disagreement between people who
use CentOS for a living and those who build it for a living!  (Maybe
they're two very different constituencies with different goals?  Nah,
that's absurd!)

3.  Any sufficiently large community is bound to have a few of the kind of
screw-loose types who think the moon landing happened on a Hollywood sound
stage.  I mean, the CentOS folks have gone to great lengths at several
points to belabor the fact that they really don't have a very special
relationship with RHEL.  (That's RHEL, not RH.)  They pull their sources
from git.centos.org one leg at a time, just like the rest of us, for
instance.  That certainly doesn't bespeak much of a vast Red conspiracy to
overthrow the world.  But I guess belief in this conspiracy already hinges
upon the absolute incompetence of most of the players.

Ultimately, we as community members have three options.  I'll spare you
another numbered list, because they're short: We can just flow like seaweed
in the tide and take whatever comes our way, which is pretty unlikely given
that most us are antisocial nerds; we can continue to contribute
*productively* and try to guide CentOS in the direction we want it to go,
while recognizing the limitations of any volunteer-run product that depends
on the good graces of a public corporation for its raw material; or we can
take our ball and go home in a huff to rage against the machine while
running Slackware or whatever.

So for the love of all that is holy, and particularly out of respect for
the time it takes to hit delete on all of the shitty replies to this
terrible thread, please let's can the bullshit conspiracy theories and
personal attacks and screaming and crying and throwing our rattle across
the room.

Note, if you must, that I do not have a redhat.com email address, nor have
I ever.  I'm just a dude who deleted a lot of profanity from this email
before sending it, I promise.  I've spoken my piece, and do not intend to
dignify this horrible thread with any further replies (or readings), so
now's your chance to call me all sorts of horrible names without the risk
that I might see it.

Chris St. Pierre