[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Jun 23 14:07:55 UTC 2014

On 06/22/2014 04:40 AM, Mustafa Muhammad wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2014 1:42 PM, "Johnny Hughes" <johnny at centos.org
> <mailto:johnny at centos.org>> wrote:
>
> > Where it is better is in denoting that Red Hat is doing things inside
> > the 6.4 tree (again, just following the above example) while CentOS does
> > not do those things inside our 6.4 tree after we release 6.5.  We can't
> > do them, even if we want to as we don't have the sources.
> >

> Why we don't have the sources? Isn't Red Hat obliged to give the
> sources with the binary packages?

Red Hat is obliged to give those sources to the same people to whom it
give binary packages.  Red Hat is not obligated to release those 'inside
the old point release' sources to the public.  Red Hat releases the
mainline sources to the public.  Of course, some of this may change for
7.  So for EUS, Red Hat gives the sources to those people who they give
binaries, that is, subscribers to EUS. That is the limit of what GPL
requires.  EUS sources have never, to the best of my knowledge, been
released to the public (and I of course reserve the right to be wrong!).