[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Mon Jun 23 14:48:43 UTC 2014

On 23 June 2014 15:38, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> The GPL requires that anyone who receives sources has the right to
> redistribute them freely, although Red Hat seems to think they can
> restrict this right if they do it by tying the restriction to the
> support contract.

[Citation neeeded].
As far as I'm aware, you can do whatever you like as long as you don't
trample on RedHat's trademarks.

http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_rha_eula.html
1. License Grant. Subject to the following terms, Red Hat, Inc. ("Red
Hat") grants to you a perpetual, worldwide license to the Programs
(most of which include multiple software components) pursuant to the
GNU General Public License v.2. The license agreement for each
software component is located in the software component's source code
and permits you to run, copy, modify, and redistribute the software
component (subject to certain obligations in some cases), both in
source code and binary code forms, with the exception of (a) certain
binary only firmware components and (b) the images identified in
Section 2 below. The license rights for the binary only firmware
components are located with the components themselves. This EULA
pertains solely to the Programs and does not limit your rights under,
or grant you rights that supersede, the license terms of any
particular component.

To highlight: permits you to run, copy, modify, and redistribute the
software component (subject to certain obligations in some cases),
both in source code and binary code forms, with the exception of (a)
certain binary only firmware components and (b) the images identified
in Section 2 below.

"What part of 'ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn'
don't you understand?"